Sunday, August 17, 2008

Wonderful you

At the beginning of the summer, as I wrote in a previous blog entry, I really identified the song "Workin' On A Groovy Thing" with a woman I had my eye, heart and spirit set on. Now the summer is almost gone; I've gotten to know her better; and while I still sense the possibility of what I wrote about and felt three months ago, more than anything, Van Dyke Parks' lyrics to Brian Wilson's song "Wonderful" sum up the way I feel for Her-With-A-Capital-H.

Lots more I could write, but I'll let Van Dyke and Brian say it for me:

She belongs there left with her liberty
Never known as a non-believer
She laughs and stays in the one-one-one-wonderful

She knew how to gather the forest when
God reached softly and moved her body
One golden locket quite young
And loving her mother and father

Farther down the path was a mystery
Through the recess the chalk and numbers
A boy bumped into her one-one-one-wonderful

All fall down and lost in the mystery
Lost it all to a non-believer
And all that's left is a girl
Who's loved by her mother and father

She'll return in love with her liberty
Just away from the non-believer
She'll sigh and thank God for one-one-one- wonderful

("Wonderful" by Brian Wilson and Van Dyke Parks; copyright 1966)

O.K.... maybe add in two more lyric snippets: the first, a question from another Wilson-Parks SMILE lyric-- "When is the wonderful me? Wonderful you?"-- and the second, an answer from an old Pretenders' song:

"Maybe tomorrow... Maybe someday..."

.

No comments: