Thursday, August 23, 2007

AOL Welcome Screen Headline of the Week

(for week ending Thursday August 23, 2007; I'm closing this week's competition a day early.)

This week's winner, a two-tiered headline from Monday, has it all: breathy mention of (let's face it) a b-list celebrity in the first line, followed by a teaser question in the subhead. I'd say, all told, that this beauty is the prototypical AOL Welcome Screen headline:

Accident on Tom Cruise Set Hurts 11
Did Anyone Famous Fall Out Of Truck?

The runner-up was no slouch, either... I daresay that any other week, this one would have run away with the prize:

Celebs Get Fat, Too, You Know

By the way, the AOL Welcome Screen Headline I've been waiting for the past two weeks is:

Try AOL'S new webmail!
Get dialup speed and inconvenience no matter what your connection!

Really... effin'... excruciating... trying to access my web mail the past two weeks... on a broadband connection, no less.

And it's not just me... do a google using the words SLOW AOL WEB MAIL.

Congratulations to all our winners :-)

No comments: