Thursday, August 30, 2007

Don't You Think It's Odd?

Did you know that the theme from The Odd Couple has LYRICS?? I didn't... or I did, but sometime between when I copied the lyrics from a songbook (1999) and today, when I found the copy in a box of effluvia I pulled from a storage space, I forgot it.

Is it just me, or are they best forgotten? To wit:

No matter where they go
They are known as the couple
They're never seen alone
So they're known as the couple

As I've indicated
They are never quite separated
They are peas in a pod
Don't you think that it's odd?

Their habits I confess
None can guess with the couple
If one says no it's yes
More or less, with the couple

But they're laugh-provoking
Yet they really don't know they're joking
Don't you find
When love is blind
It's kind of odd

Don't you think it's odd?
Don't you think it's odd?
Don't you think it's odd?

From the pen of Sammy Cahn, the man who brought us "Teach Me Tonight," which I find one of the most annoying "standards" in the New Real Book. "The Odd Couple," though, makes "Teach Me Tonight" sound like a Shakespeare sonnet.

Back to packing and pitching...

No comments: